" Leukaemia Awareness Month (September) is an opportunity to increase the public's understanding of blood cancers and encourage people to support the funding of research to find cures and education programs to help patients have the best possible outcomes throughout their cancer experience."
- Raising awareness regarding the prevalence of haematological malignancies and other blood diseases in the Eastern Cape Province;
- Advocating on treatment, especially bone marrow transplantation;
- Providing support for the treatment of haematological diseases;
- Helping maintain/provide for the inpatients and outpatients of the new ‘ALOE IGAZI WARD’, at P.E. Provincial Hospital;
- Raising funds from the general public to support all activities;
- Support haematological ‘outreach’ into the Greater Eastern Cape;
- Liaising with other role-players, national and international, regarding the treatment and support of blood disease sufferers.
Igazi will in the future:
- Provide accommodation and support to patients from outside Port Elizabeth;
- Encourage more people, especially those of mixed race, to be included on the bone marrow register;
- Enter into partnership studies to determine the incidence of blood diseases in the Eastern Cape;
- Support the continued growth of the transplant unit at the Provincial Hospital.